Paperclay Owls How To
Un-Sharpened Pencil or Bamboo Skewer
Water Balloon with no water
Circle Cutters (1/2" and 1")
Fondant Roller (Rolling Pin)
Exacto Knife (to place the ornament in to dry)
Old Piece of a Panty Hose
1. Blow up the balloon. Since this is a water balloon you do need a good set of lungs to do this. Tie the balloon to an un-sharpened pencil or bamboo skewer.
2. Roll out Creative Paperclay using either a clay roller, fondant roller, or a rolling pin. Spray Balloon with water, place Paperclay around the balloon merge seams together with water and sculpting tools. Leaving the top opened so the balloon can be pulled out.
5. Rolling out another piece of clay cut two tear shaped pieces (these will be the wings). Taking a sculpting tool make Xs across the top of the wing add a little water and place onto the owl, smooth with sculpting tool.
7. Take a sculpting tool and refine all the edges of the eyes and add mouth to the beak.
8. Allow to dry for 24 hours. Pop the balloon. Allow to dry for another 24 hours.
9. Add the top of the head. You may have to perform basic surgery on the owl with an Exacto knife to ensure proper smoothness of the Owl's head. Add a piece of clay so you can add an ornament hanger. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
10. Now that your owl is dry let the fun begin with Dust Mask on. It is now time to sand your owl - it is up to you how much or how little you
11. Paint your owl with acrylic paint - I used PLAID Apple Barrel Paints and seal with a sealer.